Tuesday, July 17, 2007

the ideal blog?

I find that I read librarian blogs more than an actual Library blog. So when I was given this assignment I went to a variety of sites that I hoped could point me to some "Library blogs" rather than just librarian generated blogs (one of which i think is worth the mention is: www.lipsticklibrarian.com/blog/) . In my search I found what I believe are two great resources for people who are searching for library blogs!



1. The blogging libraries wiki. There is an alphabetical list of public library blogs that you can search through if you have the time and energy. All links that I had checked were still in working order...not to say that they all are! They also provide links on the left hand side to academic, school, special libraries as well as library organizations. http://www.blogwithoutalibrary.net/links/index.php?title=Public_libraries



2. Libdex: The Library Index: Library Weblogs. Libdex lists a directory for library weblogs and breaks it down per country. This site is also great because it allows you to automatically link to the blog's RSS feed. But be wary...some of the links I used were dead. www.libdex.com/weblogs.html#us





...and the drum roll please...



In my vast search of an ideal library blog I found Hardford County Public Library: http://www.hcplonline.info/. The main reason why I chose this as a model is that they offer a variety of blogs. The main weblog is found at http://www.hcplonline.info/weblog/hcplnews.html This provides general information to the library user. But what I found interesting is that there is are also specific blogs set up for Audio and Visual information (to provide information regarding movies, music, games and audio books), BlogaBook (a book discussion forum), a Teenspace , as well as section titled HCPL Innovation Revolution (marketed as "a place to `workshop' ideas together").



I like the idea that there is no one definitive blog that can encompass all users wants and needs so they have generated a variety of blogs that will benefit both the end user and the library.



I especially like the innovation revolution section. I cannot determine if it is employees only who are posting here, but most postings seems to be librarian oriented. They share ideas and new sites with each other as well as post questions they can not answer themselves.

1 comment:

mary fran said...

I like the idea of different library blogs for different areas/users, too. But I think it's important to have one general blog where people can see general library news/events all in one place.